Hey, Welcome to My Page
Table of Contents
1. About Me / Editorial Duties / My Columns
2. Trending Articles
4. Let's Work Together
5. Curated Collections
6. Who I'm Reading Right Now
7. How to Read My Latest Articles
Hey, it’s good to have you here.
My name is Jonathon Hawkins. At 22 years old, I’ve just finished studying Philosophy at the University of Nottingham, and I’m currently navigating the world as a Freelance Writer.
I live in a small town just outside of Worcester (UK) with my family. In my spare time: I read, play guitar, binge Netflix shows, and drink (lots of ) coffee.
I’m a self-identified Philosopher. And here on Medium, I aim to promote the practical benefits of Philosophy in an accessible way to a mainstream audience. Because of that, you can expect me to explore the sorts of questions we all asked as children:
- What does it all mean?
- How can I make the most of my time on Earth?
- What happens after death?
- What makes something right or wrong?
- What makes an argument credible or sound?
Are topics that motivate, and underly every article I write on my profile.
Having recently left academia, you can expect every piece I publish to be well researched, with solid foundations in reliable evidence from scholars & thinkers from around the world.
Outside of my pursuit of Philosophy, I also explore and write about a variety of other themes, including:
- Using my academic research and knowledge to write about Psychology.
- Using and applying the core lessons of Philosophy to the realm of Self-Improvement.
- Applying and sharing my experiences about Writing, Freelancing and Marketing to help others on this platform improve.
During my time on Medium, I’ve been fortunate enough to be on the team for a few publications. These include:
- Owner and managing editor of The Apeiron Blog (Topic: Philosophy).
- Former submissions manager for Mind Cafe (May 2020-January 2021)(Topic: Self-Improvement.)
These projects have led me to engage more with all the amazing writers on this platform. For writers of these publications, I offer editorial support, advice, and copy-editing on successful submissions.
Information on how to inquire or apply to them can be found on their submissions pages.
Updated January 2021
Articles of mine that are making an impact & resonating with readers.
Writers — Here’s How to Choose a Publication That’s Right for You
Choose one that gives you room to navigate your story
How to Read Philosophy (And Other Difficult Books)
A comprehensive guide to tackling complex texts.
The Top 4 Philosophy Books for Beginners (With Synopses)
Texts that shaped my critical thinking & changed the way I live.
A Guide to Doing Absolutely Nothing, Guilt-Free
Take a well-deserved break by embracing your Dolce Far Niente.
Life’s short. Because of that, I try my best to meet as many people as I possibly can. I love hearing other people's stories and learning about their journey. If you want to, you can chat with me or arrange a call by emailing — jonhawkinswriting(at)gmail(dot)com
If none of those suit, just reply to this story and I’ll reach out.
Let’s Work Together
As an experienced writer and editor for well-esteemed publications, there are an array of services I offer. To name a few:
- Coaching and guidance on how to write better.
- Reviewing articles (both on and off Medium).
- Ghostwriting for external websites.
- Editing services.
- Copy-Writing services. (Website, Email copy etc.)
- Social Media Management.
If you’d like to work with me, or want to inquire about any of these services, then reach out to me via my email: jonhawkinswriting(at)gmail(dot)com
Updated February 23rd 2021
I stand by every article I write and put out. But occasionally, I write an article that I’m more proud of than any other. Maybe I spend weeks researching the topic. Or perhaps it’s on a topic that is personal to me, and is written from the heart.
These are those pieces, by category.
- Making the Most of Each Day
- How to Read Philosophy (And Other Difficult Books)
- The Top 4 Philosophy Books for Beginners (With Synopses)
- What Exactly Is “Philosophy?”
- Are You Willing 1 to Save 5?
- The Philosophy Behind Vegetarianism
- A Buddhist Teaching taught Me to Be Less Self Absorbed
- Heraclitus’ Five Lessons for a Better Life
- Three Lessons From Epictetus That Will Change Your Daily Life
- Four Philosophical Thought Experiments That Will Change Your Perspective
- Philosophical Paradoxes That Will Leave You With More Questions Than Answers
- How You Can Apply Philosophy to Make Important Life Decisions
- Don’t Break Bad Habits, Substitute Them
- The Traits of Immensely Focused People, According to Ancient Greek Philosophy
- A Three-Step Guide to Tackling Procrastination, From Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Time-Management Skills that Made Seneca One of Greece’s Most Influential Thinkers
- The “Tom Cruise Deep Fake” Is a Reminder to Question What You See More
- Aristotle’s Timeless Advice For Finding Genuine Friendship
- The Traits of Emotionally Mature People
- Psychologically Speaking, the World Doesn’t Revolve Around You
- Your Character is What You Do When Nobody Is Watching
- A Guide to a More Meaningful Life
- How to Use the Concept of Parsimony to Make Your Life Better
- Focus on Your Strengths to Reach Your Goals Faster
- Traits Indicative of Emotional Immaturity, and How to Avoid Them
- A Guide to Getting to Where You Want to Be
- Are You as Competent as You Think You Are?
- The Secret Psychological Powers of Smiling
- Spotting Hypocrisy in Your Own Life
- Learning to Use Jealousy as a Catalyst for Change
- To Increase Your Chances of Success, Acknowledge “The Hemingway Effect”
- Four Key Signs You are Not Living Authentically
- Four Signs You are Emotionally Stunted (And How to Fix It)
- Putting Pressure on Yourself Doesn’t Always Boost Your Performance
- The Self-Sabotaging Traits of Unconfident People
- Avoid Superficial Gossip to Unlock Your Intellectual Self
- A Guide to Doing Absolutely Nothing, Guilt-Free
- How to Boost Your Happiness By Avoiding Inauthenticity
- Use Constructive Assertiveness to Become the Best Version of Yourself
- A Much-Needed Guide to Handling Immense Pressure
- The Key Ingredients for Personal & Intellectual Growth
- The Character Traits for Success: Working Smarter, Not Harder
- Alcohol: Society’s Opt-Out Service
- The Socratic Method Could Radically Improve Your Mental Well-Being
- Breaking My Phone Addiction Radically Improved My Mental Health
- Writers — Here’s How to Find a Publication That’s Right For You
- A Writers Toolkit: How to Boost Your Article Engagement
- To Write Effectively, Be More Like Hemingway
- Submitting to a Publication? Avoid These Common mistakes
- Four Career-Defining Writing Tips, From Winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature
- How to Say More With Fewer Words
- How to Write Effectively When You’re Unsure What You Want to Say
- How to Rank Your Medium Articles on Google
- How to Write Disability Friendly Content
- How I Landed a Marketing Agency Job With No Experience
- This Is Why People Are Leaving Your Articles
- How to Create Content Your Audience Will Return To
- How To Deal With the Stigma of Bad Press
Productivity & Work
- I’m a Graduate Who Can’t Get Employed (Anywhere)
- Escape the Shackles of a Boring 9–5
- How to Stop Selling Yourself Short
- How to Use the Concept of Small Wins to Develop Long-Lasting Habits
- Stop Comparing Your Career Journey to Others
- Your First Year of Freelancing Will Be Different to What You Expected
- Unconventional Ways to Stand Out at a Job Interview
- Effective Ways to Land Work Experience During a Pandemic
- A Go-To Guide for Connecting With Influential People
- How to Handle the Quieter Months as a Freelancer
- Is It Getting Harder to Become a Professional Writer?
How to Read My Latest Articles
That’s all from me! If you want to stay up to date, you can check out my latest stories on my home page just below this article snippet.
See you there for some insightful discussion.
Also, a huge shoutout (and thank you) to Danny Forest who inspired me to write a landing page like this — it’s an insightful, and accessible way for readers to learn about us writers!